Thursday, September 2, 2010

Royal Chops

"Hey, have you seen Susan?"

"Yeah. She's not here."

"Do you have her number?"

"Yes, but she's pregnant so don't get any ideas."

...this is an actual conversation, and Susan is, indeed, very pregnant. She's one of my USAC advisors here, in Spain.

Today was a great day...I learned a lot, was inspired mucho, and moved into my apartment.

The day began with an all-you-can-eat in 30 minutes buffet. The food portions in Spain are so small so it was nice to be able to pile the food onto my plate. The buffet was muy delicioso, apart from the incredibly small, tiny, little water glasses that I had to refill after every sip. I enjoyed watermelon, orange slices, pineapple, cheeses, bread, and a wide array of meats - I guess you could call them breakfast meats, but seeing as Spaniards eat these meats (salami, turkey, bacon & ham) at every meal it might not be appropriate.

Forty-five glasses of water later, with my thirst finally quenched, we set out for the Royal Palace. The palace is a magnificent and grand structure seeping with mystery, love, and elegance. The rooms are decorated with stucco, much of it painted gold. Romanticized portraits of past Kings and Queens adorn the walls, and images of Gods and flying cupids grace the ceilings. The throne room was my favorite - the walls were covered with velvet, and as Italian chandeliers occupied the space overhead, and gold lions and bronze statues lined the perimeter, the focus of the room funneled towards the center where two beautiful mahogany chairs padded with rich velvet stood, demanding our respect. Except I knew, these were more than just chairs. They were thrones. As I daydreamed of the historic events that took place in this elegant room I couldn't ignore one specific recurring thought...one day my bedroom was going to look like this. However, instead of thrones I will have my bed. No, not a king sized bed. One step above that. A Lord sized bed.

As we continued to tour the palace inspiration struck in the form of a fallen king - Alfonso XII. He didn't inspire me to conquer far reaching kingdoms or paint masterpieces or write a novel. No, his facial hair was my inspiration. Widely regarded as the most handsome king Spain has ever had, Alfonso XII was a romantic who possessed a mutton-chopped beard that makes Santa Claus look boring and uninventive. He was the first King of Spain to marry for love. He married his cousin. I'll let him slide on that one given the time period he ruled in, and his glorious beard.

I thought you might want a visual.






Awe-inspiring isn't it? Alfonso was diagnosed with tuberculosis and suffered an early death at the ripe age of 28, but not before he taught us a few lessons: Marry for love, and be bold with your beard. In his honor, I have decided to recreate his famed mutton-chopped, bear-chinned beard while I'm in Madrid.

We left the Royal Palace and returned to the hotel. Finally, it was time to move into my apartment. A Spanish student named Esteban met up with my roommate, Zachary, and I at the hotel to take us to our apartment on Calle 12 del Octubre - our landlord, Gloria, spoke no english. We arrived at an unsuspecting building sandwiched between a barber's shop and run-down convenient store. It was home. Gloria buzzed us in and we took the cramped elevator, not even big enough for the three of us, to the fifth floor.

Gloria is a very kind and animated redheaded women. She slowly opened the door to our new home revealing wood floors, green couches and wooden doors with green window panes. The apartment had a lot of character. We have a small kitchen with yellow walls and an interesting looking dishwasher. Our TV in the living is smaller than my computer screen, but I don't plan on watching much tv, anyway. Zach got the master bedroom and queen bed, while I was left with the tiny broom cupboard room and twin bed.

My room is very classy and charming. The dresser stands seven feet tall and really is a beautiful and useful work of art. A crystal chandelier, fit for a king sleeping on a twin bed, hangs from the ceiling. I hit my head every time I walk under it. Pink drapes sway in the breeze as they hang over a smart looking bed-side table and a miniature lamp lights my way. I couldn't be happier with my set-up. The twin bed is actually very comfortable, and the apartment has a really good vibe about it.

Remember earlier when I said that I learned mucho? Well, I learned a little too much. After unpacking and settling in, Zach and I set out for some cervezas and monaditos. We went to the local supermercado and bought a case of Mahou Clasica and some bread, cheese, and salami. We went to Retiro park and posted up at a cool spot elevated above the street with a clear view of a red- brick Cathedral. It was surreal.

Zach is a really nice guy and we get along fine. He's very high-spirited and energetic, and seems really happy to be in Madrid. After a few biers, he began to tell me of his latest travels to New York and how happy he was to leave and come to Madrid. "I care alot about him, but he was such an asshole," he told me of his recent relationship. Did you catch it? Yes, he did say he. I had a hunch before, but that confirmed it. Zach's gay. I'm living in the romantic city of Madrid, in a small charming two-bedroom apartment down the street from Retiro Park with a gay man. What a cliche. I've never really had a gay friend before, let alone a gay roommate. It's going to be interesting. I'm looking forward to it - i'm in Madrid. Zach is a journalism major and a movie buff, who also found this overly-aggressive and particularly corny kid from Baltimore in our USAC group extremely annoying. He called him a "faggot", and used words like "puss" and "dank". Zach's alright in my book.

I'll leave you with some pictures of my apartment and room...and a picture of the first friend I made at the airport in D.C.. Her name is Mary.










No comments:

Post a Comment